Wednesday, August 31, 2016

What does education mean?

I few days ago, I was out with my sister and her friends for a lunch at Red Fork, Indiranagar. Her friends were very well educated and almost everyone was a hotshot. To be frank, I was kinda feeling out of place. Anyway, I had picked the restaurant, which is moderately priced but chic. I have been there a few times and have always found the owner or the spouse chatting with patrons. Today the daughter was waiting tables. So there was one guy in our group. Let's call him AH. The conversation went as follows.

AH: Why don't you print the menus? Why is it on blackboards?

Lady: We have a dynamic menu and this helps us change every few weeks. Lots of the stuff we serve is seasonal, and big plus is we get to try new things in the kitchen.

She turns around after taking the orders, and pat goes the guy. "Saaf saaf bol na print karne ke liye paise nahin hain!" Translation: Why don't you say clearly that you don't have the money to print menus.

I was flabbergasted by this. Excused myself after a few minutes and went to the lady to apologize for the asshole's behaviour. She had heard the guy, and was embarrased. I am never going out with this crowd again. EVER.